Chủ Nhật, 28 tháng 7, 2013

BRITISH SLANGS FOR IELTS (Part 10)

  • Clear off! - This expression brings back memories of being a kid and stealing apples from people's gardens. Sometimes we would get caught and some old bloke would come out and shout "oi clear off you lot". It basically means get lost.
  • Cobblers - I have heard people say "what a load of cobblers" more than once. Maybe that's because I talk so much rubbish. An equivalent would be what a load of bollocks. It means you are talking out of your butt and has nothing to do with any kind of dessert!
  • Cock up - A cock up means you have made a mistake. It has nothing to do with parts of the male body.
  • Cockney rhyming slang - There are lots of words that make up cockney rhyming slang. These are basically rhyming words like "butchers hook" which means "look". If you are in London and you hear someone talk about a Septic they are probably talking about you - because it's short for "Septic tank" which equals "yank", which is our word for an American. How do you like that! For more details there are lots of sites dedicated to this subject, including this one.
  • Codswallop - Another one I heard a lot as a kid - usually when I was making up excuses for how the window got broken or why my dinner was found behind the sofa. My Dad would tell me I was talking a load of codswallop. American kids might be talking baloney under the same circumstances.
  • Cram - Before a big exam you would be expected to cram. This simply means to study hard in the period running up to the exam.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét