Thứ Tư, 1 tháng 1, 2014

THE CRISIS

Narrator:      Here we are again at Tip Top Trading, where Anna's interview for a sales job has been suddenly interrupted. Office assistant Denise has entered the room, looking very worried. What's wrong? And will Anna have any suggestions that might help?


Denise:          I don't know what to do!

Paul:               So what's the matter Denise?

Denise:          You know the PowerPoint presentation?

Paul:               The one we've been preparing for the last two months?

Denise:          Yes.

Paul:               The one that's very, very important and that we need this afternoon?

Denise:          That one.

Paul:               Aha.

Denise:          We've lost everything!

Paul:               No!

Denise:          I had it on a USB stick, to transfer it, but the stick has vanished!

Narrator:      Right Anna, now is your chance to help them find solutions to the problem.
You'll need phrases like: Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you...?
Have you tried...? Maybe we could...? How about...?
I have an idea!

Paul:          But don't you have it saved on your computer
Denise:          No, it was taking up a lot of space, so I deleted it.
Paul:              So you have lost the only copy we have.
Denise:          Yes.

Narrator:      What idiots! I've never seen such a disorganised office. Go on, you'd better help them, Anna.

Anna:             Can I make a suggestion?

Paul:               Yes, please do!

Anna:             Why don't you try looking in your recycle bin? It might still be there.

Denise:          I did. It isn't.

Anna:             Have you tried asking your colleagues if they've seen the memory stick?

Denise:          I did. They haven't.

Anna:             How about looking through your rubbish bin to see if you threw it away by mistake?

Denise:          (getting shirty) I don't do silly things like that!

Paul:               All very sensible suggestions Anna, thank you.

Anna:             Maybe I could do a big office search for you...? I'm good at finding things.

Denise:          There are confidential documents in this office non-staff are not allowed to see them.

Paul:               Now, now Denise. Why don't you drink up that nice tea?

Anna:             I have an idea! Did you ever email the presentation to anyone?

Paul:               Golly gosh, you did Denise! You emailed it to me to proof-read. It'll be in my inbox somewhere. Good thinking Anna!

Denise:          I was just about to suggest that myself actually.

Paul:               Problem solved. Thank you Anna!

Anna:             Pleasure.

Narrator:      Well done Anna!

Paul:               Right, now please leave us Denise. Anna and I will continue our interview.
Would you like a biscuit Anna?

Anna:             Thank you. Oh, what's that?

Paul:               Oh golly gosh, the USB stick! It was mixed in with the plate of biscuits that
Denise brought in.

Anna:             It's wet!

Paul:               Yes, I think maybe I stirred my tea with it at one point. Oh well. Now, where were we...?

My goodness, it's 11 o'clock! I have a meeting right now! I'm afraid I'm going to have to go. But I've made up my mind about you anyway. I suppose you'd like to know if you've got the job?

Anna:             Yes please!

Narrator:      Ah - Stop right there! I'm sure everybody would like to know if Anna's got the job but everybody's going to have to wait until we've heard her helpful phrases once again:

Can I make a suggestion?
Why don't you try looking in your recycle bin?
Have you tried asking your colleagues if they've seen the memory stick? How about...?
Maybe I could do a big office search for you...? How about looking through your rubbish bin...?
I have an idea!

Paul:               Anna, we need someone who can think on her feet and who is a first-rate people person. Someone who sees solutions, not problems... someone like you! So if you want the job, it's yours!

Narrator:      Ah, now think carefully Anna do you really want to work for these people? They seem a bit... disorganised.

Anna:             I would definitely like the job! Thank you!

Narrator:      So be it. Join us again next week for Anna's first day as a sales executive at Tip Top Trading.



Listening comprehension question Why was the memory stick wet? Because it had been in Pauls tea.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét